Wednesday

dyepot dancing!

it's been fairly blustery here, the Spring winds have blown in and I find it way too crazy for dyeing - tho it gives me a chance to catch up on spinning custom orders & playing with my cheeky munchkins! My twins are 22months old now & beginning to wrap their tongues around key words & some phrases are slowly happening - "here you go", "there it is", "a oh", "broken" being the fav's of the now, usually in that sequence!!

...So when I get a calm day (in every way - kids happy in the sandpit, no wind etc) I hop into the dyepot - yah literally - you should see my hands when i'm done! (& yes i do wear gloves!!)

I have been so SUPER KEEN to see how the handspun throwster silk singles colour up..we popped a few "into the pot" so to speak (since i don't actually use a pot to dye!), here are a few pics of the colour process:

MAI TAI - azalea & madder combo - thanks Jenny & Sue for the inspiration!!
I just LOVE this colourway.. all it took was a little mixing to get the right orange, woohoo!!

Reduce Reuse Recycle, & so the song goes, the Wooldancer Throwster Silk is textured silk yarn HandSpun as a singles (not by me incidentally - my fingers & silk just don't play well together.. too many days of dipping my fingers into photographic chemicals at uni have left me with pumice-stone fingertips, & no matter how much I moisturise first, there is simply no spinning silk on these workhands..)

SEE ABOVE POST FOR POSSIBLE REMEDY TO STICKY SILK, YOU MAY SEE SOME WOOLDANCER HANSPUN SILK IN STORE AFTERALL!!

The throwster silk is really FUN to knit with. It is a little sticky as the textured slubs gel a little, but once you get it into a ball it is fine. The exquisite luster & shine on this silk is truly aglow, hard to capture with the camera!
Soon there will be some of this gorgeous silk in my etsy store if you'd like to grab your thin needles & play!!


SEASHORE PIXIE colourway... mmm so exceptionally beautiful I just had to dye some merino with this too!.. now if only the cold weather would go away so it would dry.. i can't wait to spin this up!!

this pic shows some geisha fleece, seashore pixie fleece & silk, DIZZY SATELLITES super coil yarn drying, & mai tai silk peeking in there too!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails